Friday, May 7, 2010

OverDrive comes to the iPhone

For all of Apple's alienating practices (inaccessible batteries, devices locked down with crippling DRM, stifling authoritarian control of their app store, partnering with a liberty-trampling and generally crummy telcom), I still love me some iPhone.

I also love me some library services, including OverDrive, which allows patrons to download audiobooks to their computers and portable devices. Sarasota rolled this service out last year, and an app for the iPhone has finally hit the iTunes app store.

Hoorah!

Update - 05/12/10

I'm reviewing OverDrive for a presentation at a high school next week, and as part of that, I just downloaded the iPhone app.  Works pretty nicely: upon checkout of a title at your library's OverDrive site, the app is automatically launched, where you have the option to download individual parts (or the whole) of your audiobook.  I selected The Sword Thief, part six of the 39 Clues series.

No comments:

Post a Comment